From the Dean
Welcome to the College of Intelligent Computing!
For centuries, people have been fascinated by the dream of building machine, or artificial, intelligence. It has been the subject of many artistic, philosophical, neural, mechanical, and, finally, computer science studies. Numerous sci-fi fictions and movies have created amazing yet mind boggling dramas full of wonders and promises. Some of them have crossed the boundary between humans and machines (even with inter-beings bondings). Many of them ended up as horror stories, with machines eventually at war with humans, trying to take over the world as highly intelligent beings.
At present, however, human beings are still absolutely more intelligent than machines or computers. Although humans are not the strongest, the fastest thinking, the most logical, or even the most sensitive beings in this world, we humans have the unique intelligence to create, to explore, to deploy and to manage many man-made things and machines. In the past half a century, we have seen the impact of IT innovations on human society through the invention of computers, internet, mobile networks, IoT, and now intelligent computing. There are still great benefits and enormous opportunities for us to advance and to adopt artificial intelligence (AI) technologies in many domains to improve almost every aspect of human lives and make our world a better place.
At Chang Gung University (CGU), we decided to set up the College of Intelligent Computing (CoIC) to address this most critical technology in the current scientific front. CoIC is unique in many ways. CGU is one of the first universities in Taiwan, if not the world, to set up an academic unit at the college level devoted to the science and education of artificial intelligence technology. CoIC will have complete higher education programs from Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and PhD. CoIC also plans to offer joint degree programs with other colleges at CGU to bring AI to all scientific disciplines. In addition, we have established a Research Center on AI, with the most advanced AI server hardware and a strong group of active researchers to work on basic AI research, as well as practical projects with industrial partners and medical professionals.
CoIC hopes to be a key member of the global AI community, with international professors, researchers and students, using both local and remote teaching and research collaboration. We encourage multi-way international exchange programs, for both teachers and students, short- and long-term, and with joint/dual degree offerings. As one of the leading private universities in Taiwan, we are eager to explore, to lead and to exemplify a truly international education and research model (institution), to collaborate and to compete with global AI educators and researchers.
We are very excited about our new venture and what the future may bring to CoIC. Please come visit us, join us and work with us. We look forward to seeing you at CoIC of the Chang Gung University in Taiwan!
Dean, College of Intelligent Computing
Chair Professor, Chang Gung University
About the Dean
Chair Professor / Dean
PhD, University of Maryland at College Park
Tel: +886 (0)3 211 8800 Ext. 2500
Computer Vision, Internet of Things, Service-Oriented Computing, Real-Time Systems, Distributed Systems
- 2022-present: Chair Professor, Chang Gung University, Taiwan
- Adjunct Professor, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- Adjunct Professor, National Tsinghua University, Taiwan
- Adjunct Professor, Zhejiang University, China
- Adjunct Professor, Nagoya Institute of Technology,Japan
- 2007-2008: Steering Committee Chair, Computer Science and Engineering Program, University of California, Irvine.
- 1997-2022: Full Professor, Dept of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine.
- 1993-1997: Associate Professor, Dept of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, University of California, Irvine.
- 1985-1991: Assistant Professor, Dept of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 1991-1993: Associate Professor, Dept of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Fellow, IEEE
- 2011-present: Chief Scientist, NTU IoX Center, Taiwan
- 2016: Visiting Chair Research Fellow, Research Center for Information Technology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
- 2015-2018: Advisor, Frontier Research Institute for Information Science, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- 2011-2015: Chief Scientist, Intel-NTU Connected Context Computing Center, Taiwan
- 1996-2000: Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- 1998-2002: Executive Committee Member, IEEE Technical Committee on Real-Time Systems.
- 2008: Visiting Chair Research Fellow, Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- 2006-present: Editor-in-Chief, Springer Journal of Service Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA).
- 2003-2011: Co-Chair, IEEE Technical Committee on Business Informatics and Systems.
- 2002-2006: Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed System.
- 2001-2003: Co-Chair, IEEE Task Force on E-Commerce.